Based in Quebec City, QC, Canada
Press / Business contact:
633 Rue Saint-Joseph Est
Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
We are an indie studio from Quebec City that makes retro-inspired games.
After spending a year working evenings and weekends to prototype The Messenger, Sabotage was founded in April 2016. Over the next two years, the team went from three to ten people, all gathering around the idea of creating modern games that encapsulate what made retro titles so compelling. The Messenger was released in August 2018, published by Devolver Digital, and was critically acclaimed, earning many accolades and awards, including a prestigious Game Award for Best Debut Indie Title.Now
The Sabotage team is now complete, counting 16 cherry-members, fully dedicated to creating their own definitive editions of the genres they loved as kids. Just like The Messenger is the Sabotage take on the action platformer, the team is now working on Sea of Stars, a turn-based RPG set in the same universe. Our team is composed of self-driven artisans who seek to be unleashed rather than controlled. Even though the vision for each game is clearly defined, everyone is given the tools and encouragement to express themselves in bringing everything they want both to the company’s culture and to our games.
Behind the Schemes: The Messenger YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Winner of the Game Award for Best Debut Indie Game of 2018" - Los Angeles, December 6, 2018
- "Winner of the E3 2018 Dualshockers Best Indie Game Award" - Los Angeles, June 14, 2018
- "Winner of the E3 2018 CG Magazine Best of Show Award" - Los Angeles, June 14, 2018
- "Winner of the E3 2018 PS Nation Best of Show Award" - Los Angeles, June 14, 2018
- "Winner of the E3 2018 Shacknews Best Breakthrough Indie Award" - Los Angeles, June 14, 2018
- "Winner of the GDC Best of The MIX 2018 Award" - Los Angeles, March 21, 2018
- "Grand Prize Winner of the Ubisoft Indie Series 2018 Award" - Montreal, March 15, 2018
- "Winner of the Montreal Independent Games Festival Gameplay Design Award" - Montreal, November 19, 2017
- "Winner of the Montreal Independent Games Festival Music composition Award" - Montreal, November 19, 2017
- "Winner of the NUMIX Award for most promising Startup in the Indie Games category." - Montreal, May 5, 2016
- "The 25 Best Nintendo Switch Games"
- Mike Williams, US Gamer
- "I can't remember being this excited about an indie platformer since Shovel Knight."
- Rich Meister, Destructoid
- "Le top 10 des meilleurs jeux vidéo auxquels Pixels a pu jouer à l’E3, le salon de Los Angeles"
- Corentin Lamy, LeMonde.fr
- "The Messenger Could be the Next Shovel Knight"
- Kat Bailey, US Gamer
- "The Messenger stands apart from decades of Ninja Gaiden wannabes by presenting players with the tightest controls I've ever encountered in a game of this style."
- Jeremy Parish, Polygon
- "Tight controls define this retro homage to Ninja Gaiden"
- Ethan Gach, Kotaku
- "De quoi faire saliver tous les nostalgiques du genre"
- Paul Blais et Charles Prémont, voir.ca
Team & Repeating Collaborator
Thierry Boulanger | Co-Founder
Martin Brouard | Co-Founder
Admin + Business relations
Executive Producer | Partner
Graphic and UX Designer
Eric W. Brown