Based in Quebec City, QC, Canada
Sea of Stars is a turn-based RPG inspired by the 90’s classics. A prequel story set in The Messenger’s universe, it tells the story of two Children of the Solstice who will combine the powers of the sun and moon to perform Eclipse Magic, the only force capable of fighting off the monstrous creations of the evil alchemist known as The Fleshmancer. Promising the Sabotage touch in every system, Sea of Stars aims to modernize the classic RPG in turn-based combat, storytelling, exploration and interactions with the environment, while still offering a hearty slice of nostalgia and good old, simple fun.
Continuing on the Sabotage journey of developing games that blend retro aesthetics and modern game design, invigorated and motivated by The Messenger’s overwhelmingly positive response, it was time for the real, big challenge. To make a turn-based RPG that would pay homage to the greats of the 90’s, while bringing enough novelty to be its own thing. All of our games taking place in a shared universe, we cannot wait to show you all the stories we can tell with the richness of the world and the sheer amount of characters that an RPG entails.
- Engaging turn-based combat. Along with timed hits, combat features multi-character combo attacks, boosting, and a strategic "locks" system offering options to play with different damage types in order to hinder enemies while they are channeling powerful attacks or spells, all in an immersive take on the genre; no random encounters, no transitions to separate battlefields, and no grinding.
- Unshackled traversal. Swim, climb, vault, jump off or hoist up ledges as you traverse seamlessly through the world with a navigation system based on platformer expertise that breaks free from the classic bound-to-the-grid tileset movement.
- A story rich adventure. Dozens of original characters and story arcs will take you on a captivating journey. Sometimes epic, sometimes silly, and other times emotional, Sea of Stars does its RPG duty of exploring classic themes of adventure and friendship, while also being chock-full of the unexpected twists and events you’d expect from a Sabotage production.
- A world you can touch. There are many ways to hang out in the world of Sea of Stars if you feel the need for a change of pace in your adventures. Sailing, cooking, fishing, stopping by a tavern to listen to a song or play the infamous tabletop game known as "Wheels".....every system has been designed to deliver an experience that pays respect to retro classics, while rethinking in some areas to offer a smooth and modernized experience.
- Full-on dynamic lighting. Our custom-made render pipeline allows the creation of a breathtaking world coming to life by pushing the limits of 2D pixel-art games.
Reveal Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
The compendium is where lore about the characters of Sea of Stars is archived. https:.
About Sabotage Studio
We are an indie studio from Quebec City that makes retro-inspired games.
More information on Sabotage Studio, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Sea of Stars Credits
Thierry Boulanger | Co-Founder
Fredéric Émel Carpentier
Graphic and UX Designer
Eric W. Brown
Composer and Audio designer
Content and Community Manager