Based in Quebec City, QC, Canada
719 rue Saint-Vallier Est, bureau 201, Quebec QC G1K 3P9 Canada
Sabotage is an indie video game studio that specializes in games with retro aesthetics and modern game design.
Created by industry veterans Thierry Boulanger and Martin Brouard in April 2016, Sabotage is an independent game studio which aims to create original IPs combining retro aesthetics and modern game design. Thierry’s exceptional creative vision as well as his renowned programming skills coupled with Martin’s extensive producing experience and knowledge of the gaming industry give Sabotage a solid foundation for success.
Known for their leadership and joie de vivre, the dynamic duo is surrounded by a small team of senior game artisans, all good friends and former colleagues who are very passionate about video games and have worked extensively together over the past decade. The whole idea behind Sabotage is to operate with a small team of A-players demanding minimal management.
Sabotage has been making some waves since its foundation, winning the prestigious NUMIX Award for most promising startup of 2016, as well as two Awards at the 2017 Montreal Independent Games Festival (best gameplay design and best music) for its upcoming title The Messenger.
As a demon army besieges his village, a young ninja ventures through a cursed world, to deliver a scroll paramount to his clan’s survival.
Leveraging player expectations as a core design ingredient, The Messenger is first presented as an 8-bit action platformer with a simple story only to turn into an epic time travelling tale, eventually revealing itself as a 16-bit Metroidvania packed with replay value and deadpan humor.
Platforms: PC and Nintendo Switch
Release date: To be announced
The Messenger - Gameplay Trailer YouTube
Shinobi No Kikan - The Messenger Live Action Trailer YouTube
Behind the Schemes: The Messenger YouTube
Famous YouTuber Jirard "The Completionist" Khalil's review of The Messenger YouTube
There are far more images available for Sabotage Studio, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo, Icon & Key Art
Studio & Team Photos
Photos credit: Stéphane Bourgeois
Awards & Recognition
- "Winner of the E3 2018 Dualshockers Best Indie Game Award" - Los Angeles, June 14, 2018
- "Winner of the E3 2018 CG Magazine Best of Show Award" - Los Angeles, June 14, 2018
- "Winner of the E3 2018 PS Nation Best of Show Award" - Los Angeles, June 14, 2018
- "Winner of the E3 2018 Shacknews Best Breakthrough Indie Award" - Los Angeles, June 14, 2018
- "Winner of the GDC Best of The MIX 2018 Award" - Los Angeles, March 21, 2018
- "Grand Prize Winner of the Ubisoft Indie Series 2018 Award" - Montreal, March 15, 2018
- "Winner of the Montreal Independent Games Festival Gameplay Design Award" - Montreal, November 19, 2017
- "Winner of the Montreal Independent Games Festival Music composition Award" - Montreal, November 19, 2017
- "Winner of the NUMIX Award for most promising Startup in the Indie Games category." - Montreal, May 5, 2016
- "The New Leader to Beat."
10/10 - Destructoid
- "The Messenger is the Real Deal."
10/10 - US Gamer
- "Masterful and Smart Adventure."
10/10 - Nintendo World Report
- "The Messenger s’empare de l’histoire même du média, et en fait une mécanique de jeu à part entière."
- "The Messenger est un must-have pour tous les fans de jeux rétro, mais aussi de mécaniques intelligentes et de jeux de plates-formes exigeants sans pour autant virer au pur Die & Retry. Franchement, foncez."
18/20 - jeuxvideo.com
- "Generally favorable reviews"
86 - Metacritic
- "The 25 Best Nintendo Switch Games"
- Mike Williams, US Gamer
- "I can't remember being this excited about an indie platformer since Shovel Knight."
- Rich Meister, Destructoid
- "Le top 10 des meilleurs jeux vidéo auxquels Pixels a pu jouer à l’E3, le salon de Los Angeles"
- Corentin Lamy, LeMonde.fr
- "The Messenger Could be the Next Shovel Knight"
- Kat Bailey, US Gamer
- "The Messenger stands apart from decades of Ninja Gaiden wannabes by presenting players with the tightest controls I've ever encountered in a game of this style."
- Jeremy Parish, Polygon
- "Tight controls define this retro homage to Ninja Gaiden"
- Ethan Gach, Kotaku
- "De quoi faire saliver tous les nostalgiques du genre"
- Paul Blais et Charles Prémont, voir.ca
Team & Repeating Collaborators
Thierry Boulanger | Co-Founder
Martin Brouard | Co-Founder
Eric W. Brown